Cycling

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Sports Member

Buckled Wheel. Repair or new wheel?

Bought the Triban 500 SE a few months ago. Really loved the bike. However, recently went over a pothole, dislodged my bike-lock attached to the bike, falling into the back wheel and completely buckling it. Not knowing a lot about bike repair, I don't know how serious a problem this will be to fix?

The new wheel costs 39.99 with postage. Will a repair be less than this? I've been quoted 20 quid for a wheel true from the local bike shop, but if the problem is more serious, I'm pretty sure this will increase the price. 

Any suggestions would be wonderful.

Thanks!

Amateur Player

Re: Buckled Wheel. Repair or new wheel?

At Decathlon we offer wheel truing for £10 plus any spokes needed,if any, if its a dead wheel there will be no charge other than for a new wheel as long as you don't want anything fitting.

How bad is the wheel?
B'Twin Product Expert, Decathlon Tamworth
Sports Member

From what I can see of the wheel it doesn't look too bad. However, attached to the bike the buckling becomes far more obvious and refuses to turn without quite badly sticking to the brake-pads. 

My friend had a look and said the rim might be cracked, but I can't see any sign of this (but again, my knowledge of repair is limited.)

Amateur Player

If it only touches the brake pads and not the frame you should be ok really, best to drop it off with someone and get them to take an expert eye to it.
B'Twin Product Expert, Decathlon Tamworth
Sports hub Partner

How long does it take to true a road bike wheel

Top Tags
Top contributors