Cycling

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Sports Member

Heavy riders!

I recently visited the Decathlon Store in Oxford and found a commuter/city bike that I really like. However being around 150kg I was warned that the back wheel may not be strong enough. The concern was over the spokes and the axle. I still want to buy this bike and I am prepared to replace the back wheel with one that is strong enough. However, I have no idea about where/how to go about finding such a strong wheel. Any suggestions?

Occasional Contributor

Re: Heavy riders!

Hey Neily,

Can i ask which bike you were looking at.

Craig

Craig
Workshop Technician
Decathlon Coventry
Sports Member

Hi Craig,

I was looking at the Hoprider 520 City Hybrid Bike.

Regards,

Neil

Occasional Contributor

Sorry for the delay in replying.

The Hoprider 520 is an excellent bike.  I have sold a few of these to heavier customers and they have loved them.  One chap used it that much, that after just 6 months, he lost enough weight and brought a Triban 540 road bike.

Start off slowly.  Short distances doing a day on day off method.  Don't expect anything massive to start off.  Getting your body used to riding regularly is more important than distance.

After a month or two you should be able to start doing greater distances.  Hydration is key.  Drink little but often, if you feel thirsty you've already pushed yourself to far.

Eat normally.  You do not have to go on a crash diet to loose weight.  Eat sensibly and you'll be fine.

use something like decathloncoach on your phone to track your rides.  This is a nice way to view how well you are doing.

Ride to your own speed.

If you would like further help, I could put together a basic riding schedule for you to follow.

Craig
Workshop Technician
Decathlon Coventry
Sports Member

Craig,

Thanks for the great advice. I've done quite a bit of bike commuting in the past but it's still useful to be reminded of these things.

My main question is whether the bike's rear wheel and hub will buckle under my weight? Is there anyway that I can get the bike supplied with thicker spokes fitted in the rear wheel?

Cheers,

Neil

Occasional Contributor

The wheel should be fine. 

You should see how I test bikes.  Everything (Except carbon road bikes) come with me to do a little off roading.  I expect the wheel to be able to survive at least 30 miles of rough terrain with me basically treating it like a teenager would.  Jumps, bunny hops, etc. (dont tell Peter).

Using any of the hybrid bikes as they are designed to be used should last you years.  Add this to the warranty you get with our bikes and your laughing.

Craig
Workshop Technician
Decathlon Coventry
Sports Member

Craig,

That's fantastic info, thank you very much.

It sounds like you have a dream job!

Cheers,

Neil

Occasional Contributor

It is, it truely is.

Smiley Very Happy

Craig
Workshop Technician
Decathlon Coventry
Sports Member

Hi Craig, I too am a heavy User (140+kg) are there any bikes you could recommend for mainly road use but able to do some off terrain? Or improvements on wheels / bearings to handle a bit of battering. I've had bikes in the past but find that the crank bearings are first to go. I was a massively heavy User but lost lots on slimming world so hoping to lose more with cycling.
Occasional Contributor

Hi @PaulNeo

Any of the new 500 range mountain bikes would be perfect.

The larger 27.5 wheel means it rolls better on the road and smoothes out the rough stuff when you decide to take a cheeky shortcut.  Put on a semi slick tyre with some nice nobbles on the edge and, as long as you don't go too mad off road, you'll have the best of both worlds.

Craig
Workshop Technician
Decathlon Coventry
Top Tags
Top contributors