Cycling

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Store Managers
Top Answer

Helmet in London

Hi all

I have just moved to London and am using my bike for my daily commute for work.

Coming from the North I have never really used a helmet before, but after seeing the levels of traffic I wondered how many others do. I'm not wanting to put myself at risk but I do like to have my hair looking pristine for when I get to work!

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, as I'm not used to the roads. Are accidents a common occurance, do cars tend to give you a wide berth?

Look forward to hearing from you!

Umpire

Re: Helmet in London

Hey @mcuckson - welcome to London!

So I am NOT a big cyclist myself, but I have a lot of colleagues who commute by bike. And to me, a helmet is a no-brainer.

Although never serious (thankfully), they have all already been in somesort of road accident, that could have been much MUCH worse if they hadn't had a helmet.

That being said, I know that there are a lot of initiatives being put in place by the City of London to facilitate cycling, including the "London Cycling Superhighway": http://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2015/jan/28/londons-cycling-superhighway-may-inspir...

In short, I would say be safe rather than sorry!

Community Manager Community Manager

So I've been commuting to work in London for six years by bike and would definitely recommend getting a helmet.  I came off once last year and hit my head pretty hard on the road.  Luckily there wasn't a car involved but still I dread to think of the injuries I would have sustained without my helmet!

Sports Member

Hi mcuckson,

If you are ever riding (period) I would always recommend a helmet, otherwise you are "playing with fire". Having been a cyclist for many years, a motorcyclistm, and having a father as a paramedic and a Mum as a nurse I've seen first hand and heard all manor of horror stories.

Which is better getting to work with "pristine hair" or arriving to work cause you're still alive?!

I would urge you to get a helmet now and take some hair wax/gel in your bag with you...

Thanks,

Jon

Community Manager Community Manager

@MyRoadStoryUK and @mcuckson

I ride to work with my helmet, then do my hair at work. Means I stay safe on the road and my hair is good for work.

Share with us your ride to work!

Occasional Contributor

I always ride with a helmet on.  I carry gel and a brush in my backpack for when i get to work. 

You dont have to have the most expensive helmet on the market but, from personal experience, you should always wear one.

Craig
Workshop Technician
Decathlon Coventry
Store Managers

Thanks for your help guys!

Helmet duly purchased... Hopefully I won't have need of it but you never know.

Sports Member

Well it will keep your head dry (for the most part) and will encourage other road cyclists to think twice about getting one.

:-)

Top Tags
Top contributors
User Medals Count