Cycling

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Sports Member

Misleading sales techniques

At the time I purchased by Triban bicycle i was not sure between the 520 and the 540. The salesperson told me that I could buy the 520 and if I wanted I could exchange it for the 540 as long as it was within 1 yr, the bike was clean and everything was functioning. This comment surprised me as I could not imagine what they would do with a used bike. On a separate visit, I query this policy and they told me the very same thing. Having been using the 520 for 4 months, I'm overall very happy with the bicycle, but the gear set is the lowest end of shimano and it is not as good as the 540. Today (4 months after I purchased it), I tried to exchange it and surprise surprise, they did not honor what they had told me before. They said the bicycle was used and it was not in perfect state (of course it is not I have been using it - normal wear and tear - everything functions perfectly). I understand they won't exchange used bicycles as they cannot re-sale them, but they should be honest about it when they sold it and again on the later visit. Note Decathlon will not take your used bicycle back even if they tell you they will.
Amateur Player

Re: Misleading sales techniques

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/decathlon-return-policy.html
B'Twin Product Expert, Decathlon Tamworth
Sports Member

I recomend your employees to read it and not to provide misleading statements such as "as long as everything works and it is clean we will exchange it.

Could you please point me to where it states that it needs to be in peffect state?

Thank you,

Alex
Amateur Player

It doesn't say that anywhere it just says that as long as you are not happy with it then you are free to do so.

From what I can see you've not really mentioned any reason you are not happy with it other than the Spec on the 540 is better.
Also Sora is not the lowest spec in terms of the Shimano hierachy, it is infact Claris.

Personally I would exchange it, as would most stores. We do however have some who are very fussy in the term of exchanging used products.
B'Twin Product Expert, Decathlon Tamworth
Sports Member

Thank you for your response. The manager from Decathlon Canada Water did not accep the exchange (a shame).

Thanks,

Alex
Sports hub Partner

I had a similar discussion at Canada Water, although I did manage to exchange a Triban 500 for a Hoprider 300 after a few month's use, they said it was because I'd bought quite a lot of other stuff.

Based on the online adverts, I fully intend to exchange this again in several months' time, I'm not fully happy with it because its not a great bike, but I was a beginner and needed to start somewhere. I see they now have a Triban 100 which would be a much better fit given the help I asked for.

I hope the stores honour the marketing claim, it would be a pain to make it a legal issue.

Top Tags
Top contributors
User Medals Count