Cycling

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Community Manager Community Manager

b'Twin Triban 540 Bike - Bike Review

If you want to start road cycling and looking for a new bike, the name at the moment is 'Triban'! This is from the bTwin range exclusively at Decathlon,

Road.cc have reviewed the bike and they said:

"A pleasure to ride whatever the road surface, with an excellent spec for the money"

See the full review here: http://road.cc/content/review/198143-btwin-triban-540

Has anyone tried a b'Twin bike before?

Occasional Contributor

Re: b'Twin Triban 540 Bike - Bike Review

I currently own a Triban 3 (the proper red one), alur 700, triban 540 and a mach 720.  I'm not even a roadie, lol, im a mountain biker.  I love the triban range as it is at the moment. 

The Alur 700, now upgraded and called the Ultra 700 AF, is an awesome bike.  I've ridden many miles on this bike and its so comfortable to ride especially for a road bike but serious enough for any local race.

As for the Triban 540 is a really decent bike.  I particularily like the extra room between the brake calipers and the wheel.  Mine at the moment has some cyclocross tyres on as I wanted to see if the frame and fork could take a little off road action.  Whilst the bike is not designed as a cyclocross it so far has shown a lot of promise in this area.

Being able to fit bigger tyres,pannier and mudguards is a massive plus. And now it has an upgraded version with 11 speed.

This truely is in my opinion the best allround bike and should give you many happy miles.

I cannot recomend the 540 enough.

Hope this helps.

Any further questions please dont hesitate to ask.

Craig
Workshop Technician
Decathlon Coventry
JB
Sports Member

The 520 and the 540 are so similar in specs then why would one want to spend the odd 120 quid more on the 540?

Occasional Contributor

@JB

Lets start with the groupset.  The 520 comes with sora 9 speed which is a good set, but, the 540 comes with either 10 speed 105 (currently the same price as the 520 as of 03/08/2016) or the 11 speed 105.  The 520 has a triple crank rings where as the 540 has a double and therefore saves weight.  Theres not many riders out there using the smallest cog on the crankset so it just adds weight on the 520 with only limited benefits.

The difference between the two groupsets is pretty much night and day.  its like buying a ford focus 2ltr and realising you should have bought the ST version.

The 540 has pretty much the same frame and fork as the 520 but because of the upgraded groupset is lighter and feels a little more race orientated (in my opinion).

This of course is all acedemic at the moment as the price drop for the 10 speed 540 should make the decision that much easier.

Happy Days.

Craig
Workshop Technician
Decathlon Coventry
JB
Sports Member

Thanks Craig! Mucho appreciato!

Sports hub Partner

[ Edited ]

A few yrs back i bought a bike from Decathlon but unfortunately had continuous problems with the front Mech on 2 of the same bikes and eventually asked for a refund which was a shame because i loved the bike to bits. But i am definitely interested in BTWIN 540 as i have a summer bike with 105 11spd setup and i love it and this bike would be perfect for my Winter Bike Smiley Happy Silly Question as (SHIMANO R540 ROAD BIKE PEDALS) has 540 in the name Smiley Very Happy But will these Pedals fit the BTWIN 540?

Sports Member

I recently bought this bike and although I am new to road bikes I am loving it.

I do have a question though, the rear cassette on mine is 11 speed ranging from 11teeth to 28teeth. I was wondering what options exist for changing it to a 32 teeth big cog so I have a bit more range on steep hills?

Thanks
Top Tags
Top contributors