Fitness

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Sports Member

Nordic Walking for exercise & fitness

Does anyone use Nordic Walking as an alternative low impact fitness training regime?

It's a full body workout based on cross country skiing and using the poles to help propel you forward it takes some of the strain off the lower joints & muscles whilst aiding the workout of the core.

Sports Member

Re: Nordic Walking for exercise & fitness

After a lot of back surgery my consultant and physio both suggested it as I am off running or cycling for the timebeing.

I took to it like lead to water but have got my head around it now and love it; it isn't running or cycling but I find that I lose myself in the exercise nonetheless and still get my endorphins, which is great.

Apart from leki poles and arpenaz 100 shoes nothing else was bought specifically and my waistline and head are both much improved for it.

Sports Member

I also started Nordic Walking due to Arthritis in my knees and being vastly overweight. It's still surprises me that the majority in the medical fraternity don't seem to know what it's all about.  My orthopaedic consultant asked 'you're the guy that walks with poles?' and wasn't impressd with my retort of 'I'll walk with any nationality so long as they're Nordic Walking' I had total knee replacement March 2015 and the new knee is great, I just need the other doing now.

I've now qualified as a Nordic Walking Instructor, Fitness Walking instructor & Gym Fitness instructor and working towards Personal Trainer qualifications

Umpire

That is REALLY good to know @NordicBeech - I'm definitely going to have a look into it. Where do you practice? In the countryside?

I've a long term back issue, and have had so many different diagnostics about what's wrong with my back that it's hard to pull out the right from the wrong. The MRI showed a degenerated disk with facet joint inflammations, but my physios think it's completely muscular.

Anyway, I do do Pilates 2x a week - which has helped a lot. Bit I kind of need to get back to something that gets the heart racing. Running is not really recommended for the moment, and I might die if I spend another hour on a cross trainer :/ 

Sports Member

Hi Charlotte. I practice mainly in 2 large Park areas near to me. Shipley Country Park near Heanor, Derbyshire and Wollaton Hall & Deer Park in Nottingham. Both are just like walking in the countryside. You walk anywhere really but countryside feels better.
Rad
Customer Loyalty Team Customer Loyalty Team

Hi  all,

I am just a beginner so my opinion is not really strong but Nordic Walking is good not only for my body but for my mind as well. It just helps to lose the stress and focus. 

Also, it's not demanding! You don't need to have many expensive tools, you can be at any age, any fitness level and can practise it anywhere (well, I would not recommend practising in Central London...). 

For me, it's best to do with a friend, we can catch up with our life and exercise at same time.

Enjoy your walks!

Umpire

Any suggestions as to how to get started with this? Have plenty of countryside to practice in living at the south east edge of the Peak District but no idea of the practicalities! Yes I know joining a club or going to classes would be best but as my self employed job has me all over the country at whatever hours are needed that won't work.

Sports Member

I run a class in Belper on Friday morning. If that's too far look on Nordic Walking UK website as one of their instructors works in Ashbourne, Keddlestone etc. My website www.nordicwalking-graham.org. Contact me and I'll try to help you out.
Umpire

Thanks, I'm in Wirksworth so if I ever get a Friday free I'll be in touch.

Top contributors
User Medals Count