Fitness

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Umpire
Top Answer

Yoga mat vs. Pilates mat - is there really a difference?

So a few days, I ended up spending 10min in front of the fitness area of the Surrey Keys Decathlon having to make one of the hardest decisions of the day: do I pick up a Yoga or a Pilates mat?

I do quite a lot of Pilates to recover from a back injury, and have some exercises to do at home (mainly core and body weight exercises) - I finally went with the Pilates mat, but it still boggles my mind :/

I am guessing that the main difference is in thickness, but does it really make a difference?

Rad
Customer Loyalty Team Customer Loyalty Team

Re: Yoga mat vs. Pilates mat - is there really a difference?

Hi @Charlotte!

That's a tricky question Smiley Very Happy  It looks almost the same but the main difference would be that pilates mats are usually 10 - 15mm tick where yoga mats are 4-5mm. It is supposed to be that ticker mats are more comfortable but I prefer yoga mats which are much thinner.

Also, I checked Decathlon website online and it shows that yoga mats are much more stable as  their grip system is better.

In the end of the day, it is almost the same and depends which one is more comfortable for you and the best way is to try both Smiley Wink

Umpire

Re: Yoga mat vs. Pilates mat - is there really a difference?

Haha, I will ask if I can try them out in the shop them Smiley Tongue

Thanks for the feedback @Rad Smiley Happy

Top contributors