Golf

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Decathlon Employee

How to hit the ball further

I often get asked by golfers how they can hit the ball further. Does anybody have any gems on how you can optimise your distance when hitting the golf ball?

Occasional Contributor

Re: How to hit the ball further

I feel Rob should be answering this one.  If you promise to never let anyone know who told you then I can give you a few hints. (used to work on a golf course).

Check your grip.  Move your left hand so the knuckles are pointing down the fairway (right hand for lefties).  Don't grip the club to hard. 

Use your hips as a trigger to pull the club through rather than trying to use just you rupper body strength. Make sure your transfering your weight onto your back leg at the top of the swing and shifting onto your front leg as you strike the ball.

Dont forget the basics.  Your lead arm should remain straight.

Again, i must implore you to keep my identity a secret as i am known as a mountainbiker and not a golfer.  Shhhhhh.

Craig
Workshop Technician
Decathlon Coventry
Amateur Player

Don't use old lake balls or anything like this. The newer the ball the better, I personally use a new ball everytime.

Old lake balls are renowned for lacking in distance, same with range balls.

As for anything else, just relax and don't try to smash it as this will make your swimg very un-natural and you'll be prone to cut across the ball or hook it.
B'Twin Product Expert, Decathlon Tamworth
Decathlon Employee

I always say there are 3 main ways to hit the ball further:

1- Making the club face get to the impact at the perfect and square club angle or clubface degrees. There are many players that do not realize that because of their swingstyle the clubface may be getting to the impact position at a "weak angle" (putting more degrees to a club face). This case is actually what I have been going through my whole golf career. The only one that could help with this is your swing coach, because everyone's swing is different, and there are many drills that will help fix a problem like that but those drills will be different depending on the type of swing. A swing coach will consider what drills are better to work on first in order to get your body to memorize those swing movements.

Make sure you get a coach you can trust and get ready to hit a whole lot of balls!!!!!! Always put Quality before Quantity.

2- Get a club with less degrees, we should not do this with every club (some people take their clubs to the workshop to take 1 degree off). It is well known that some brands sell clubs with degrees that are not the standard ones, so if we have two different 7 irons, we might hitthe ball further with one of them because it either has less degrees or its shaft is a little longer than the standard one. But in terms of the driver, you can always get a lower degree driver. Also depending on the technology of the club and how the weights are located on the club face it with help with the carry and roll of the ball, but be careful when you choose to play with a low degree driver because it may cause a lower trajectory and less control over the shot.

3- Go to the gym and get a good specific work out!!! Our biggest and most powerful muscles are Glutes and Thighs and they are the ones that will make us get that hip power. Again, all players are different with different body types so get a good work out coach that will help you build an specific exercise routine for golfers!!! Remember the golf swing is asymmetric so the key is having a balanced body!

I hope this helps!!! and do not forget to work on your short game also!!! ;-)

Decathlon Employee

There are lots of ways to hit the ball further but you must have a great set up firstand then you should try this. A great feeling is to throw the club through the ball (not literally ; ) )

Decathlon Employee

How to hit the ball further

There are lots of ways to hit the ball further but you must have a great set up firstand then you should try this. A great feeling is to throw the club through the ball (not literally ; ) )

Sports hub Partner

What a load of tosh!

The simple answer is go to a good pro and have a lesson. The best eqipment in the world won't help if your swing path and ball strike is not good.

Top contributors