Mountain Sports

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Sports hub Partner

Best piece of kit?

We need a lot of different kit for winter sports - the best skis or board and boots to ski/board as well as we can; the right clothing to keep warm but not overheat and the best protective gear to keep us as safe as we can be from impacts or avalanche. And then there's the growing amount of techie stuff available too to track our speed, vert, loction, friends on the mouintain, video us and 101 other things.  I wondered if anyone had any thoughts on what their favourite piece of kit is from all that? 

Community Manager Community Manager

Re: Best piece of kit?

Are you a piste or off piste skier?

Decathlon Employee

For me, the most important part is the skis or the board. If you don't enjoy skiing or boarding with your equipment, you won't enjoy the rest of your kit either (even if you have the best tech, the best camera, the best outfit...etc.) 

Sports Member

It has to be my ski helmet... I'd recommend anyone old or young get one.... and wear it.

Umpire

Love my Mountain Equipment Chagabang jacket, hard shell so the weather stays out and keeing warm is just a matter of the right layers under it.

Sports Member

New Skis this year

We bought a couple of pairs of skis this year for 11 and 13 yrs olds. Both Wedze and they were great! Although we had to go to aldult size for my son as he his shoe ski dictacted it, and he was a bit worried about the size. We had a lot of snow and it was like skiing off piste every day and the skis shot over everything. Even when the snow was blown off the skis still held on the icy bits. They are light so the children can carry them and the bindings are a good make, just rebadged, and worked perfectly. The main thing here is the value for money, up till now we have been going through growth spurts and a process of changing skis and buying second hand, the great prices of Weze mean it is must more viable to buy new.  

Sports Member

For me and anyone else with a bad knee or just ageing muscles the best thing I've bought is a ski mo-jo. I really notice when I forget to switch it on after strip up a chair lift!
Sports Member

The piece of equipment to spend the most time trying on and considering all the different brands is your boots. Try as many different boots on as you can! You spent all day in them (even apres sometimes) and if your feet are uncomfortable, your skiing/snowboarding will suffer. Not to mention the added risk of pins and needles, cramp and frostnip/bite. Of course you need to take flex/performance level in to account as well but skiing should be fun from the first run to the last so don't settle for discomfort. Where possible get them heat moulded as well for an extra perfect fit!

Other than that Wed'ze does some great base layers/gloves/outerwear/helmets for great prices and take a look at the Quechua fleeces for excellent, technical warm layers.

Highlighted
Rad
Customer Loyalty Team Customer Loyalty Team

Hi @AndyLinduschka,

I completely agree, it is worth to invest in ski boots or to spend some time to test. Bad pair can ruin your whole holiday so take your time with it! Or at least, get a few packs of good long ski socks as it might help as well.

In terms of clothing, Decathlon base layers are the best! I am from Lithuania where average temp during winter is -20C and for a few weeks it goes down to -30C. I would usually have to put layers and layers just to keep my self warm but after I found Wedze Simple Warm tops & bottoms, I don't look anywhere else. Quality is brilliant and it is so cheap! it is just a pity colours are not the best but I hope next year they will introduce something new.

Top Tags
Top contributors