Mountain Sports

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Decathlon Employee

Long distance routes in the UK

Hi everyone!

I am looking for inspiration regarding long distance hiking routes. I already have the project of walking the West Highland Way but was wondering what to do after that.

I imagine there are plenty of long distance routes in the UK... So, which ones would you recommend?

Cheers Smiley Very Happy

Sports Member

Re: Long distance routes in the UK

The Pennine way is fun but busy. I also enjoyed following Offa's **bleep**
Sports Member

Why was that edited
Sports Member

@RED_ARROWS

There are quite a few national paths! All different lengths and challenge anything from 80 miles upto 630 miles of the South West coast path (if you can manage 5-7 weeks to walk it all in one go)

Worth looking at the following link gives you an idea of how long they will take. http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/sites/default/files/compare_national_trails.pdf 

I have walked lots of parts of the Pennine Way over the years (unfortunately not been able to walk it all in one go) it has some great views. Also there is the Coast to coast starting ST. Bees to Robin hoods Bay always a good challenging walk. Also takes in three national parks which is a positive. 

Umpire

South West Coast Path - one of the best hikes in the World. Even if you do it in stages it is stunning.
Sports Member

[ Edited ]

My wife and I did the Pennine Way a few years back in 16 days. It was great and not busy at all, yes around conurbations you will get a few day walkers but we when we walked there were two chaps and a couple also on the path, we'd often see them at some time during the day and say hello, but they'd stop for a rest/food and we'd pass them or vice-versa and we could walk for hours without seeing another person. In fact it felt really weird in Edinburgh getting the train home, so many people and all so busy!

We've also walked the West Highland Way, finishing it by climbing Ben Nevis. We still have to finish the South West Coast Path, walked lots of it in small chunks, and I'd love to do the new Welsh Coast walk, but that is 500 miles (I think), so will have to wait until I retire. So many walks still to do!

Ron
Sports Member

[ Edited ]
You could always try the offers **bleep** path which follows the man made boarder between England and Wales. I've only done the first ten miles from south end but I really enjoyed it. My only mistake was walking the ten miles from the camp site the start der no buses. Made it into a twenty plus mile hike lol.
Sports Member

I assume its Offas D Y K E, you all trying to say but Dectahalon assume youre swearing and dont actually know this is  a route!!

South Downs Way or Ridgeway worth looking at, depends where you are in the country!

Top Tags
Top contributors