Other Sports

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Sports hub Partner

boat licence

[ Edited ]

i am expecting delivery of the Tahiti inflatable 3 man Kayak tomorrow.  it was pointed out whilst discussing my purchase with friends that i will probibally need a boat licence to operate this in England & Wales.


Can Decathlon confirm that this is the case?  After speaking with a French gentleman at your call centre he did not believe that this was the case.  


If you do need a licence to have fun in England and Wales perhapse this is something that should be clearly displayed at the point of sale?  as is the case when you buy a television!  Looks like its an additional £80 or so per year if you want to actually use the product leagally in England & Wales.  (Scotland you dont need one just like you dont need to pay for prescriptions or education)  Thanks Lizzie the 2nd!!!!

Community Manager Community Manager

Re: boat licence

Hello @tw1ddle and welcome on the community!

I looked that up and indeed I found that for most rivers in England and Wales, you need a licence to be able to paddle on since there is no public access agreement.

You can easily obtain it online, on the British waterways website (www.canalrivertrust.org.uk) and the cost may vary according to the length and type of the licence; but a short term visitor one should be enough.
You can also buy one from The Environment Agency (that manages the River Thames, the River Medway, and the rivers of East Anglia) and The Broads Authority (that manages the Norfolk and Suffolk Broads).
The licence is also included when you become member of the British Canoe Union organisation (https://www.britishcanoeing.org.uk/).
However, there shouldn't be any restriction for kayaking on the sea!
I hope this helps and that you will have a great time with your Kayak! Have a very nice day,
Top Tags
Top contributors